Kevin Hague, MP & health spokesperson for the New Zealand Green Party shares his five favourite movies (and a few others) with Cinemaddicts.
1. Torch Song Trilogy – Energy, passion and an emotional connection to the things that are important in my life.
2. Zoolander – It’s, you know, funny!
3. Rocky Horror Picture Show – Transcends the movie experience and has become a ritual celebration of life (favourite scene: Riff Raff and Magenta in the spacesuits).
4. Patu! – Powerful evocation of a pivotal time in my life (and I’m in it).
5. Somebody Else’s Country – Terrific catalogue of how this country got turned upside down, and core NZ values traded away for the benefit of a few (we are still stuck in this rut, though there are signs we could finally break free at this election).
You know how it is with movies: these are my favourites today. On another day they might be Wayne’s World, Chariots of Fire, Angel Heart, Sins of The Father, My Life as a Dog, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Baseketball, Milk etc etc